Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 2015 03:44:57 +0200
From:      Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org" <freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: service bluetooth start ubt0 fails every other time

On 21.09.15 02:57, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:

> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth start/stop is executed from devd (on device
> arrival / departure). there is no real need to execute bluetooth
> start/stop by hand. i would implement this as part of
> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth status command (just like other rc.d services),

I see. I was following up on several howtos I found about getting
bluetooth devices running, so I found this

  "And although bluetooth dongles will run the fore-mentioned command
   automatically when inserted into a USB slot, your built-in bluetooth
   controller is never inserted into anything so I’m not entirely sure
   how the service is started if it is not started manually."

at http://modal.us/blog/2013/09/16/bluetooth-freebsd-9-1-macbook/. I
wondered if it was smarter to just play along, since the howto is out
there and others will also stumble here.

Also the "service bluetooth start" command does not really adhere to the
rc-systems standards (it works without rcvar, and as I noticed, start
does as stop, when the stack is already up.) Also nowhere is
communicated that this script is supposed to be internal to devd.

Is the blog's author correct that builtin controllers are not reliably
started when the system boots? When my system starts up with the builtin
host controllers, I at least get a

	Warning: attempt to domain_add(graph) after domainfinalize()

but ngctl status ubt0hci: reports that it actually was started.

Thanks,

  erdgeist