Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:29:06 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1017433747.8d4ff3@mired.org>
To:        Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [burnscharlesn@hotmail.com: Advocacy help for CS professor]

In <4.3.2.7.2.20020324125937.019edf00@threespace.com>, Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com> typed:
> At 12:21 PM 3/24/2002, Mike Meyer wrote:
> >Anyone who actually knew anything about the desktop market would have
> >predicted the result of Netscape trying to out-Microsoft Microsoft.
> >It's like the neighborhood bully tangling with the 800-lb gorilla. You
> >get a very broken bully.
> And as much as I recognize the problem, at the end of the day I don't
> really care about standards as much as being able to see my choice web
> sites quickly and correctly.  I think most web site designers are the same
> way

No, most web site designers aren't that bright. All they care about is
proper display in MSIE in the out of the box configuration. At least,
that's the impression one gets from most web sites. It makes me
ashamed to ever have had anything to do with building web sites.

Any web site that fails to work properly in one or more of the
browsers designed for the visually impaired is in violation of the
ADA. If you're running a web site run with government funding for any
part of it, you're required to comply by a number of different
regulations. If you're a commercial web site in the US, whether you
are legally required to comply with it depends on whether or not your
district court thinks a web site is a public place of business.

Given the current trends in the legal system in the US and abroad, it
will actually depend on whether or not any of your users are in a
district that cares, even if your web site isn't in US.

> figuring that most of their audience will be using Internet Explorer,
> and the small minority who aren't will be able to find their way to an IE
> without too much effort.  (It is free, right?)

How can I use IE if I don't run Windows or a RISC workstation?

Better yet, how do I put a system running MSIE in my pocket and carry
it around? A properly designed web site will work fine on browsers I
can fit in my pocket. That's why I run w3m with autoloading of frames
turned off - I want to know which web sites are going to work on my
Palm, and which aren't, and seldom bookmark the latter.

> As much as possible, I try not to set my non-Windows browsers to report as
> IE.  Site administrators may never notice, but I want to "stand up and be
> counted" as a FreeBSD user.  Somebody might actually start paying attention
> one day.

Yup. I even the system name to FreeBSD in the Linux ABI, so that
Netscape reports me as a FreeBSD user.

> >I also disable a number of other things to save my failing
> >eyesight. I keep a box with Windows installed just to boot and run IE
> >when I come to a site that can't operate in that environment. There's
> >nothing else in the Windows partition that I care about.
> I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who did/does this.  I had a
> Windows 98 system for a while whose only purposes was running IE6 and
> displaying web pages. :-)

That system also runs -stable in test mode before I install it on
production machines, boots -current, and has a Linux install on
it. Again, there's nothing on them I care about. Those are the many
faces of eve :-).

	<mike