Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 10:43:07 +0800 (+0800)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop choice. Which one?

Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org> writes:
>On 2000-12-01 12:08 +0100, Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se> wrote:
>> I'm going to buy a laptop (or rather my company is buying one for me)
>> Any suggestions to what would be a good choice for FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.
>
>Sorry for my delayed response.
>
>The distillation of months of discussions about this seems to be:
>
>If you want a small laptop that you can take anywhere and do nearly
>anything with, get a Sony PCG-Z505.
>
>If you want a large laptop that has an awesome screen and can do
>nearly anything, get a Dell Inspiron 5000e.

Two quick notes about the 5000e:

  1. I ordered one last week, and used the cost saving trick mentioned on this
     list (get the minimum RAM configuration, and buy the upgrade RAM from
     www.crucial.com).  This week (until 12/12), Dell has a "buy one, get one
     free" promotion for Inspiron memory (i.e., buy 256MB, and they'll throw
     in another 256MB).  I could have saved a few hundred dollars (I bought
     512MB from crucial).

  2. The configuration options (including promotional offers) available
     for the 5000e on the "Personal Dell" site are different from what is
     available on the "Small Business" site.  Check both for what suits you
     best.

	-Michael Robinson