Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:22:34 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>, Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpd as time server?

"...xntpd (on the one FreeBSD machine) updates itself from any of several
convenient internet time servers, as configured in /etc/ntp.conf...

...oh, yeah... forgot... the master needs the xntpd to get the time for the
"slaves"...

At 09:01 PM 1.12.2002 -0500, Chris Hill wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
>
>> My LAN is full of winboxs?
>
>Sorry to hear that.  :^|
>
>> ...Instead of 700 machines hitting the internet time server once a
>> hour, I would like to setup ntpd to go out to the internet time server
>> once a hour for a update to the FBSD machine and them have my windows
>> LAN boxes get the time from FBSD time server [...] Is ntpd the wrong
>> software product for what I want to do? Does anybody know of something
>> better suited?
>
>I'm no expert, but maybe xntpd would be better; see the man pages.  I'm
>running xntpd on my gateway machine, and all the machines on the LAN
>look to it as their time server. The M$ boxes run NetTime, which is
>available from
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10109
>
>xntpd (on the one FreeBSD machine) updates itself from any of several
>convenient internet time servers, as configured in /etc/ntp.conf, but
>the LAN machines don't trouble the larger 'net. Seems to work. BTW,
>there is a list of public time servers at
>http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm
>
><caveat> The time server machine I'm running is seriously ancient
>(3.3R); things may have changed here in the mopdern age.</caveat>
>
>> Thanks
>
>De nada; hope it helps.
>

>--
>Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
>**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"