Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        wilko@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: U: Request for testers of "going nowhere without my init"

> **please** take the time to pull the 4.1-RC from ftp.freebsd.org
> and test it on the hardware that gave you the "going nowhere without my
> init" problem.
>
> And report back..

Complete report:

I installed on a 4100's 4th scsi disk by:

+ dd'ing boot.flp onto the third disk (from NetBSD running on the
first disk)

+ installing to the 4th disk via ftp. I created one root partition and a swap
partition on that device.

+ installing thru ftp firewall to the specific URL

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/alpha

+ By selecting something other than 'all' (I think I selected 'developer' for
the source sets).

Things went well until halfway throught profiled libs, when I guess the ftp
session borked (no way to get information from a serial install) and I had to
restart it. Other than not being able to set nis client info (which is a
generic problem) I was left with a usable and bootable system.

At least based on this, we can say that 4100s *do* actually install.

-matt