Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:11:40 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        gram@cequrux.com (Graham Wheeler), cillian@baker.ie (Cillian Sharker)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple versions of FreeBSD on one HDD

> > This works, but has the restriction that I have to enter a command line
> > at the boot prompt to boot one of the two. I would much prefer
> > partitions, as I can use a boot selector instead, and also change the
> > default as appropriate.
>
> If you do have the installations in two seperate slices on the one disk,
> you should be able to use a boot selector to boot which ever slice you
> want.

Just to elaborate on this:

The new boot code is specifically designed to handle the separate
slices case.  Where multiple FreeBSD slices are found, it will
prefer the one marked active; the old boot code always chose the
first slice.

For this to work optimally, it's best to replace your 2.2 boot blocks
with ones from 3.2 (or otherwise ensure the 2.2 system occupies the
first FreeBSD slice).  You also need to use a boot manager which
sets the "active" flag of the selected slice.

> I don't know if this will work with booteasy the boot manager that comes
> with FreeBSD by default, but there is a nice boot manager called
> OS Select (tools/os-bs.exe in the FreeBSD distribution I think).

Both booteasy and boot0 (distributed in place of booteasy from 3.1R)
work as well.

--
Robert Nordier