Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:53:29 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, sthaug@nethelp.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Root mount failed:22 ???

"Andrey A. Chernov" wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 12:51:59AM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > You're not using the loader, so nothing gets to read /etc/fstab and set
                         ^^^^^^
> > vfs.root.mountfrom.  Thus the kernel can't use it to find the root
> > filesystem.  I should probably emit a diagnostic to the effect that it
> > wasn't set, since in many cases to come that will be fatal for the boot
> > process.
>
> I just rebuild/reinstall -current /kernel and /sys/boot and update
> bootblocks via disklabel, as result diagnostic
> in question gone, but I _not_ see vfs.root.mountfrom variable in my
> sysctl -a output.

Loader/kernel environment variables are not sysctls.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Then again maybe not going to heaven would be a blessing. Relkin
liked a certain amount of peace and harmony, since there'd been a
pronounced shortage of them in his own life; however, nothing but
peace and harmony, forever and forever? He wasn't sure about that.
And no beer? Very dubious proposition."