Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:23:10 -0700
From:      Anthony Fleisher <fleisher@mind.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with New install

I am having problems attempting to install FreeBSD2.1-R onto a new machine,
and was wondering if anyone may have some suggestions.

The new box is an AMD 5x86-P75 133Mhz on a GA5486AL motherboard.
I am attempting to install onto a Seagate IDE HD that is dedicated to FreeBSD.

I have attempted to install via FTP (both from ftp.cdrom.com and from a
mirror on my site), as well as via NFS (from above mentioned mirror).

All of them have failed with either gunzip, cpio, or tar (seems to be
different each time) exiting on signal 11 during the extraction of one or
more of the distributions.  I suspected that it might be a problem with my
boot floppy, until i remade the boot floppy 3 times without success.

Any help is very much appreciated, as I am under some pressure to get this
machine up and running as soon as possible.

Does FreeBSD have a problem running on the AMD CPU?
Are there any specific CMOS setting that I should check?
(I have disabled ROM shadowing)

Thank you,
Anthony Fleisher	 <fleisher@mind.net>
System Administrator
InfoStructure
Ashland, Oregon
Voice: (541)488-1962  Fax: (541)488-7599