Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 16:58:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        langfod@maui.com (David Langford)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: motion detection?

> >Does anyone have a program to detect motion and then take a snapshot
> >of the scene?
>
> A cheap way (computation wise) would be to have a microwave or infrared
> detector trigger a signal for the sytem to take snapshot(s).
>
> If you want to do it in software  the simplest way would be to hack
> something like what MPEG uses to find differences between frames.
>
> True motion detection of course would require you to find object boundaries.
>
> I wonder if you used edge detection and check if the edges themselves
> changed...
>
> So lets see, Your watching TV on your monitor, someone walks down the driveway
> an X-window pops up to alert you to the fact and turns on the X-10 light
> switch by the front door. You notice its your wife (etc..) and you click the
> little icon labeled stereo and the classical CD starts playing and the lights
> dim. Or am I reading too much into all this :)

If you are looking for really *gross* triggers, just look at average light
level changes over the entire frame.  And, since the number of samples
(i.e. pixels) is constant, this would just be a sum of all dots.
This needs a tiny filter on the average to ignore small changes as
would be evident from quantization and then a discriminator to trip
your alarm.

hey, I *said* it would be gross but I imagine you could implement this
in an hour and test it just as quick.