Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:18:29 -0700
From:      John Milford <jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USFS (User Space File System)

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>  wrote:

>     No, MFS runs in supervisor mode.  That mfs process that you see hanging
>     there is just placemarking the VM space.
>
> 					    -Matt

	Well, I think there is a little more to it than that.  I
believe it does run in supervisor mode, but the mfs process is
providing not just the VM space, but the process context as well.
If I remeber the code correctly, MFS runs as a single process, and
requests are queued (on mfsp->buf_queue) for this process and handled there.

	If the queuing were done a little bit differently, this could
provide a mechanism for returning requests to user space.  Something
along the lines of a syscall that enters the kernel and waits for work
as David mentioned before.  So instead of having the mfs process handle
the request in supervisor mode, the syscall would return, and the
request could be handled in user mode.  It is a little strange,
because the syscall entry and return will be handling different
requests, but I believe it would work.

		--John