Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        serges@umr.edu (Doug S.)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tunefs

> Is there a way under FBSD to 'tunefs' the / filesystem, WITHOUT
> creating another filesystem and without making an existing filesystem
> bootable?

(This is all to the best of my knowledge.  I may be wrong.  You've been
warned. :)

You must can only tunefs a dismounted filesystem - so you must do one of
a few things:

  * Boot off a "fixit" floppy that has a statically linked tunefs
    on it.

  * Boot off another partition.

Personally, I use the second method.  In a multi-disk system, I set up a
root filesystem on the second disk as well as the first.  I periodically
dump/restore the root filesystem to the "shadow" root.  The only
modification required on the shadow root is the location of root in
/etc/fstab.

This way I can still boot the system to perform maintenance even if my
root disk fails.  Makes reslicing your root disk easy instead of
requiring a reinstall.