Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:52:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mwlucas@exceptionet.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel config and sysctl

Okay, doofus question time...

I'm preparing an article on FreeBSD's sysctl interface -- not the inner
workings, merely a "What is sysctl, and what is it good for?" piece.

I've always had the impression that the sysctls available on a system are
dependent on the kernel configuration, but have never been able to verify
this.  I've sat down a couple times and built a variety of kernels, trying
to verify this with different combinations of options.  Either I've been
picking the wrong options, or the sysctls on a system are fixed.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?  What are some kernel options that carry
along their own sysctl trees, if this is the case?

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Lucas			|