Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:04:52 +1000
From:      Antony Mawer <ajmawer@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   write cache not actually disabled by sysctl?

After reading about the potential dangers assocaited with enabling the
write cache on ATA drives in combination with softupdates, I've recently
added the following to /boot/loader.conf:

     hw.ata.wc="0"

Once booted, running sysctl confirms that this is set:

     [root@gibson] ~# sysctl hw.ata.wc
     hw.ata.wc: 0

However, looking at the atacontrol cap output, it appears that write
caching is still enabled on both ATA drives (see below). Can I trust the
information from atacontrol cap to be accurate? And if so, why is write
caching enabled when the sysctl is explicitly set to off? The system was
rebooted after adding the change to loader.conf to allow it to take
effect...

I'm not overly worried by sacrificing some performance for potentially
increased safety gains as disabling write caching involves...

Any thoughts?
-Antony

[atacontrol output below]

[root@gibson] ~# atacontrol cap 2 0
ATA channel 2, Master, device ad4:

ATA/ATAPI revision    5
device model          ExcelStor Technology CT210
firmware revision     ES4CA53D
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         20040450 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/00    0/00

[root@gibson] ~# atacontrol cap 3 0
ATA channel 3, Master, device ad6:

ATA/ATAPI revision    5
device model          QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 10
firmware revision     APL.0900
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         20044080 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  yes      no      0/00    0/00