Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 23:35:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, tlambert@primenet.com, brian@awfulhak.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: un-neccessary DNS lookups (was Re: Divert sockets..)

> > > # localhost
> > > 127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.lambert.org
> >
> > I know this sounds silly, but if you reverse the order of the hosts
> > file, does it make any difference?
> >
> > 127.0.0.1		localhost.lambert.org localhost

> > > # 192.168.1	FreeBSD netblock
> > > 192.168.1.1		phaeton phaeton.lambert.org
> >
> > 192.168.1.1		phaeton.lambert.org phaeton
>
> Strange.... OpenBSD gets this wrong by default (the way Terry has it).

Ugh.  Here's why:

When I say "w" or "who", I want it to say "phaeton" not
"phaeton.lambert.org".  I know I'm in "lambert.org".  I want to be able
to see at a glance local domain vs. extra-local domain logins to my
system.

I also want to be able to make a sed script to kill of extra-local
logins, if I want, without having to have the thing parse resolv.conf.

The order I have them in is identical to the example i the FreeBSD
distributed /etc/hosts file for "localhost".

This should be *irrelevant*.  The only purpose order on a line in
the hosts file should have is determining which entry is reported
as the cannoical name to things that display cannonical names.

Like "w".

Sheesh.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org