Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:20:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Dell Inspiron 8000 and FreeBSD 4.3

On 14-Apr-01 Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently got a i8000 for work and so far I am fairly pleased with the
> success
> I am having. Currently the internal modem and ethernet work, USB works and X
> is
> running.
>
> I can't get the sound to work which seems quite odd to me since I can see an
> ID
> for a supported soundcard when I do pciconf -l (ie a Maestro 3 - 0x1998125d).
> haven't investigated further than boot -v.

The maestro3 requires a GPL'd header so you have to kldload it's module
separately I think or some such.

> Inserting a PCMCIA card locks the machine solid (I have only tried a CF
> adapter
> card so far). I haven't played with configuring it either (tips gratefully
> received :)

Hrm, pccard works fine on my 5000e.

> Also, I can't suspend/resume which I am told is because of a BIOS bug which
> sucks but there's not much to be done about that :)
> (I can induce a suspend/resume OK but when the laptop comes back the fxp card
> spits millions of 'SCB timeout' and 'DMA timeout', and it seems the ata
> controller wedges, or doesn't reinit the controller).

This doesn't sound like the 5000e kernel bug, which panics the kernel as soon
as you try to do anything with apm.  The problems do seem to indicate a problem
where the hardware isn't being rewoken properly.  Not sure if that is a BIOS
bug or a software bug though.