Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:56:36 -0600
From:      "Jamie Hermans" <freebsd@hermans.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   2.2.8 and single user mode

Hi...

We have a bunch (OK, hundreds) of FreeBSD 2.2.8 machines in production
right now, and we've some across an interesting "snag" while trying to
tighten down security on them.  (Please do not suggest upgrading - that
is not an option at this time.)

Normally, by editing the file /etc/ttys, and changing the console line
to "insecure", you are required to enter root's password when booting in
single user mode.

At least this is how it works in current versions of FreeBSD.  Was/is
there a trick to make this work under 2.x?  Right now, we get to the
password prompt (or press ^D to continue in multi-user mode), but root's
password does not work.  In fact, nothing works ... ^D goes multi-user
as expected, and just pressing Enter does the same thing.

Help :)

-- Jamie