Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 95 15:01:32 MET DST
From:      sos@login.dknet.dk (S|ren Schmidt)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: grafx console & DDB

> It hit me again... X was running, and the system panicked.  Since my
> development machine ususally runs with DDB enabled, the system just
> stalled at this time.
>
> What do people think about a global variable (`console_unavail' ?)
> that can be set to TRUE by the graphics console drivers while the
> current VT is in `process' mode (i.e., needs the interaction of a
> process [the X server] in order to be succesfully switched from/to)?

Davidg has already confronted me with that idea, I had nothing
against it, but havn't heard more to it, just tell me the
variables name and it be in there (in syscons)...

> panic() should then avoid calling Debugger() if this variable is TRUE.
> The console drivers should only set it if they are acting as the
> system's console (so if someone runs a serial console, it would still
> go into DDB).
>

> Before Terry jumps in: i know that this is not the generic solution.
> The console drivers should reinitialize the system's console via a
> vm86() call to the video BIOS -- but i don't see this solution around
> the corner within the next weeks.

Why not, there was some vm86 patches posted here some time ago, and
somebody said they where working on it. When we have that
feature, it'll take a couble of hours getting syscons to use
that (don't know about pcvt though :-) )

Soren Schmidt  (sos@FreeBSD.org | sos@login.dknet.dk)  FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time
..