Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 15:37:21 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Experiences with XFree86-4 on 4.6-PRERELEASE

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 11:28:50PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> As I request was made tthat people try this before the
> release I thought I would give it a shot. So far the
> experience has been mixed. It installed O.K. using the
> packages, though configuring it proved to be less
> easy than anticipated. kepping the old config file to hand and=20
> and fiddling with the parameters in the new file until they match
> proved to be very necessary. But it seems to be up and running.
>=20
> 2 questions remaining:
>=20
> 1) How is it possible to make this work with moused ? I found on
>    two separate machines that I had to disable moused and tell
>    X to expect a PS/2 mouse on /dev/psm0. I am assuming there is
>    some setting by which I can tell it to use /dev/mouse, but I cant
>    work out what it is for the life of me.

There is no /dev/mouse.  This entry works for me in current:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "InternalMouse"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "auto"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
EndSection

> 2) Netscape does not seem to work properly at all. It renders pages
>    with fragments of them being white wityh thin vertical yellow
>    bars. This is a serious problem for me as it makes the machine
>    virtualy unusable for browsing the internet. Has anyone else seen this
>    effect at all, and is there any fix for it.  I would do a net search, =
but
>    as the browser isnt working thats not really practical!

Have you tried a browser who's development is a bit less dead? :-)
Konqueror and Mozilla are working pretty well here.

-- Brooks

--=20

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7--