Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 04:36:57 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        David_May@allsolutions.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] distribution of patched binaries for security fixes.

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 06:47:21PM +0800, David_May@allsolutions.com.au wro=
te:

> Hello, I am setting up a FreeBSD machine to track the STABLE branch
> and to rebuild the system from time-to-time. The main reason being to
> keep track of security related fixes and enhancents.The documentation
> covers that quite well.
>=20
> But I was wondering what is a good procedure to distribute updated
> binaries to other machines.  I several have production machines that I
> would like to keep up-to-date but do not want to compile source on
> every machine.
>=20
> Being able to create something like a Windows NT service pack
> would be nice :)

There are any number of tools you can use to distribute files: tar +
scp, rsync, cvsup, 'make release' to make a full installation mirror,
etc.  If you want to automate the installation further you could
create your own packages using pkg_create: this is very easy to do if
you use the ports framework.

Kris

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M--