Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:34:02 -0400
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp

I'm using MGetty here.. Automatically passes over to PPP with PAP no
problem, and it handles modem answering and init and all that kinda stuff too.

Consider using that at all?

At 10:26 PM 10/16/98 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>I'm trying to change the method of ppp again, this time I want to use
>pap authentication only.  I think I have several things wrong, so I'm
>going to try to fix just one at a time, and work through all the crud
>serially.
>
>The first problem I have is connecting at the server end; immediately
>after the server puts it's login banner out, it disconnects towards me.
>I've taken a look at the hex, I'm sure of this, that my modem is giving
>me a CARRIER LOST message after I put out the starting lcp stuff, when
>the login process at the other end gets confused.
>
>I have the pp feature enabled in gettytab, like the ppp manpage says,
>and I have /usr/local/bin/ppplogin exactly as per form.  Should the
>server end be getting confused, when putting out "login:", that it gets
>the ppp startup hdlc stuff instead?  The getty manpage makes no
>reference at all to this, but the ppp man page does ... I've also taken
>a cursory look at the getty source itself, it has provisions to
>recognize ppp, although I'm not sure if I need to do anything more than
>just enable the pp feature in gettytab.
>
>Thanks ...
>
>----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
>Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
>chuckr@glue.umd.edu         | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
>213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
>Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
>(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us