Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:01:06 +0200
From:      Nicolas Rachinsky <list@rachinsky.de>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

* Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru> [2002-07-10 15:14 +0700]:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:24:50AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > o	I want to answer all the questions at once, in a marathon
> > 	session, and then have everything "just work" afterwards
> > 	(front loading user configuration)
>
> True.  I'll also add:
>
> o	I don't want to less through Makefile in order to find out what
> 	possible options (-DWITH[OUT]_SOMETHING) a port might accept.
> 	The idea of using /usr/bin/dialog, like used in net/samba and
> 	graphics/mplayer-skins ports, seems neat to me.

But it should be possible to install (with any set of options) without
having to use /usr/bin/dialog. This does not seem to be the case with
samba (at least the last time I did it, I was unable to find ist).

> > o	I want the "installed components" list to be accurate after an
> > 	initial system install ("/bin/ls" is a comonent).
> >
> > o	I want the "installed components" list to be accurate after a
> > 	"make installworld".
>
> While on these, I'd like to mention that it would be really nice if,
> after installing the world, I could be sure that any file that was
> removed from installation (that is, it would not appear in a clean
> DESTDIR), could be removed from original (/) as well (since it's a
> left-over from previous world).

It would be nice if, after pkg_delete -f and reinstall of a package,
the dependency lists can be complete.

Nicolas