Date:      Sun, 12 May 2013 07:47:14 -0500
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can I avoid the display of pkg-messages in portmaster?

On 05/12/2013 12:37 AM, Leslie Jensen wrote:

> I do some work on remote machines and sometimes I have a need to execute
> additional commands after for example a portmaster -a command.
>
> Normally I use the "&&" to separate commands but this does not work when
> portmaster displays pkg-messages.
>
> I cannot see in the portmaster manpage that there's a possibility to
> make the choice on displaying pkg-messages.
>
> Maybe a suggestion to further enhance portmaster in the future.
>
> To work around this I was thinking of maybe making a script that ran
>
> portmaster -a then a command to "press space" until one is sure that all
> messages has been displayed.
>
> On this I could need some help. My scripting skills are not that good.

To avoid interaction when scripting or logging portmaster, in addition
to the --no-confirm option, I usually set the following environment
variables prior to invocation:

BATCH=yes
PAGER=cat

The former should avoid any build-time port interaction (and mark the
port BROKEN if it must, so I can deal with it manually); the latter
causes portmaster to use 'cat' instead of 'more' to display the
pkg-messages afterwards.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo