Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 07:29:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl (Peter Korsten)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speed test

> (This message probably belongs on another mailing list.)

OK, how about -chat?

> Jordan K. Hubbard shared with us:
> > > i urge a port to Macintosh Power PC.  the next generation rhapsody
> > > kernel 3.0 is now based on the MKLinux kernel.  if you can get freebsd
> >
> > The PowerPC architecture is dead dead dead.  It just doesn't know it
> > yet.

Hmm... Between IBM workstations, Apple PCs, and IBM and Moto embedded
controllers the PowerPC *architecture* looks to me like it has more
staying power than Alpha.  Last I knew Ford was going to use PPC
as their engine controller.  Can anyone guess how many PPC architecture
versus Alpha architecture chips ship?  I'll just arbitrarily guess
15:1.  I'll bet if someone FUNDED a port to the PPC the future
would brighten from Jordan's viewpoint.

> Actually, there are two business where the Macintosh is the leading
> platform: graphics and music (MIDI sequencing, harddisk recording
> and sound processing).

And education and publishing.  My brother-in-law (a freelance
editor) was visiting a few weeks back and a bigger book publisher
sent him a PowerBook so that he would work on that instead of
Windows.

> HP stopped building it's own processors

When?  Intel and HP are working to combine the snake architecture
with the Pentium; hence the DEC-Intel lawsuit.

> , next is either Motorola or SGI (MIPS).

I don't think so.  What will go in the N64?  If SGI tubes than
MIPS is in trouble.

> Alpha seems like the most safe bet at the moment,
> because they're way faster than Intel at the time.

(press fingers to forehead and close eyes) "When Dec is purchased
by Microsoft early next year to become their service and system
integration division that will be the end of the Alpha". ("Solution
providers? We don't need no stinkin' solution providers (*kick* to
the temple)")

Microsoft will then spin off the hardware side of DEC to wither
and die, so as not to worry all the companies killing each other
to be Microsoft's low margin hardware division.

Remember:  you heard it here on freebsd-chat first.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval