Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:59:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yamaha PCI sound card

> I have a Yamaha Waveforce 192XG PCI suondcard.  This uses the Yamaha
> YMF724 chip.
>
> I wrote a trivial driver that does nothing more than enable "legacy
> audio" (ie SBPro and MPU401) compatibility mode.  This allows the
> FreeBSD sound drivers (old voxware or Luigi's) to recognise the card,
> but it doesn't make it work - it just hangs (interruptibly) when I use
> /dev/audio, and produces no sound when the midi device is used.

no sound means probably the dma is not initialized properly.

> interrupts and DMA.  The chip purports to support plain IRQs (and
> it's in that mode), and has two modes of ISA DMA compatibility: PC/PCI
> (which seems to require motherboard support - you connect a cable from
> the card to a socket which my motherboard doesn't have) and
> Distributed DMA (D-DMA).
>
> I don't really understand this stuff; can anyone give me some pointers?

nor do I, sorry :(

i still hope to be able to find adequate specs on the card -- the
YMF724 has 64 hardware channels with mixing and rate conversions, and
costs, an AC97 codec (MSS compatible) and costs nothing
(the cart i got is about US$35)

Richard, why don't you try to give a phone call to Yamaha Europe
(the UK branch) ? The US and Japan branches do not support
"International customers", and the other ones have a fax number
which seems to eb a bit-bucket (no response from them so far).

	cheers
	luigi