Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:51:10 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: flags settings for modules

In message <200103150816.f2F8G6920260@harmony.village.org>, Warner Losh
writes:
> In message <20010314111629.A1018@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
> : So the question is do we want to keep my change?  If so, shouldn't we use
> : "schg" in a *lot* more places?  Otherwise it's use is nebulous
>
> I think the change is premature.  Until such time as we have a
> convenient way to build a system that all vectors to compromise of
> schg have been plugged, setting it to gain "security" is at best
> folly.
>
> I do not argue that one could set schg on files by hand and might be
> able to not miss any, such an undertaking is still very very
> difficult.  You have to make sure that all the rc scripts are schg.
> And then all scripts that are run before we raise secure level.  And
> all binaries that are touched (and facist path policing of all
> scripts).  And then there's all the libraries that are linked in
> against those binaries.  And then there are all the modules loaded by
> default or by the loader.  And you have to secure the loader agianst
> change in a similar way.  And let's not forget any config files that
> all these files/programs use.  Oh, and let's not forget those things
> that are too obscure for me to think of there.
>
> There are likely items in the list that I've forgotten.  Since the
> list is still so long, and since there's no one working on tightening
> things up, I think that adding schg to modules is premature and will
> cause more hassles than it is worth.
>
> Before people think that I don't think that this is worth it, or that
> I have a negative attitude, I would like to point out that I think
> work in this area would be beneficial.

A script in /usr/sbin or a port might be the best answer.  Maintaining
this script might be another story.  I'm currently working on a
Tripwire 2.3.1 port and building the default policy file for FreeBSD
has been a tedious process.  I would think that building an schg script
or port would be just as tedious.  I could generate the script/port
based on my work on the FreeBSD Tripwire policy file I'm currently
building for the upcoming Tripwire 2.3.1 port.

If people like this idea, I can do the work as it dovetails nicely with
the Tripwire work I've been doing.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC