Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 21:36:27 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        ache@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache port and http://www.vex.net/php/

On Sat, Jun 14, 1997 at 12:13:59PM -0700, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> > Although I'm nearly finished with the port as stand alone cgi
> > program, I'd like to follow the suggestions of the author, to run
> > it as an apache module.
>
>   There are some security problems with the cgi module.  It should only be
> used as last resort.  I would recommend that the cgi php module be NOT
> included into the ports collection, lest someone have their system broken
> into, because of it.  The apache module is avoids this problem.

Ah, good to know !

>   There was some discussion about the security problems with the cgi
> module on the postgresql mailing list.

Thanks for the info.

>   Also, if included as port, which database would php be built for?
> Wouldn't you need to make two ports?  One for php-postresql and one for
> php-msql?

I'd suggest to compile in support for all known databases or to
try to make it a compile time option

	make apache MODULES=php DATABASE=postgres95

or something like this. Any volunteer for this ?! I'm currently
updating the postgresql port.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD