Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:48:11 -0800
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Igor Partola <ipartola@pisem.net>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Again about Dell Inspiron 8x00

Igor Partola wrote:
> To be exact it was 2.6.9-gentoo-r13 and 2.6.10 vanilla that worked.

Try disabling some components of acpi, like:
debug.acpi.disabled="sysresource"

See acpi(4) for a complete list (cpu, thermal, etc.)  Let me know if
disabling any of those help.

> It seems to me that certain functions of the ACPI are better off left
> alone as overriding them just causes trouble.
 >
> For example: when there is no ACPI support in kernel closing the lid
> switches the display off and Fn+F3 brings me to BIOS settings. Once ACPI
> is loaded though these functions don't seem to work. So maybe they
> shouldn't be overridden until it is known that the overriding code in
> the kernel ACPI works well enough to handle it? Or maybe sysctl could be
> used to switch between BIOS and kernel ACPI to be in charge of turning
> off the display and such?

Sorry, can't do.  ACPI is a big switch in the BIOS that says either "let
the BIOS do everything or let the ACPI OS do everything."  Use apm(4)
and disable ACPI if it doesn't give the support you want.

--
Nate