Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 11:36:57 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Luke <enigma@tcd.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EDO RAM

At 1:15 AM  -0500 5/19/96, Luke wrote:
>Hi,
>	I have a pentium 100 with 16MB or regular ram however,
>I would like to upgrade to 32MB and the store I am getting my RAM from
>sells the EDO about a dollar cheaper per 8MB simm I was wondering if
>anyone knows if I can upgrade to 4 8MB simms mixed (ie 2 8Mb simms and 2
>EDO 8MB simms on the same mother board?

Sure can. But you have to stay with the least common denominator when you
set your BIOS stuff. You can't enable EDO timing. You can't enable parity
(unless you have parity EDO, which I've never seen).

The EDO memory is probably $1 cheaper than non-EDO becuse the non-EDO has
parity (and therefore has 12% more memory).

If you already have parity memory and you have a MB that supports parity
memory, I'd stay with parity. So what are you talking about saving? $2?

If you really want to experience the 3% performance boost of EDO you should
ask about trading your current memory toward the purchase of new memory.
And while you are at it get 16M (not 8M) sticks so you will be ready for
your next memory upgrade.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison