Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 1996 00:11:45 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Cat Okita <cat@ghost.uunet.ca>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice/Recommendation needed

> I *need* to know that I've got a support contract for the OS, and have
> someone to hang out the window if things aren't working. (Hell - someone
> to sue, if it comes to that).

I certainly would be the last to dispute that, though I must at least
caution you against putting too much store in support contracts.
There is NO substitute for local expertise, and if you expect that a
tech support number is going to save your bacon even 3 times out of 5
then I'm sure that many of the other folks on this list will be more
than happy to tell you their war stories.

As far as litigation goes, by the time you get that far things have
also generally passed the point of no return anyway and, short of
perhaps making you feel slightly vindicated, generally won't have much
of a positive effect - by then your business is suffering mightily and
your court case may well drag on for years anyway.  Having someone to
sue is not all it's cracked up to be.

So while your points are all generally valid, I can only point out
that your mileage may vary so considerably in different situations
that the gap between theory and operations can be very wide indeed.  I
can only once more recommend local expertise in ALL situations as the
only way to truly be sure that your business will not suffer at the
caprice of some outside agency, be it one free or commercial.

						Jordan