Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 10:48:42 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: bind-8 import

Studded wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> >
> > Advance warning:  a bind-8.1.2-T3B import is in the pipeline.
>
> 	May I ask WHY you are doing this, and if the decision has been
> discussed?  There are serious implications regarding the libraries and
> include files with BIND 8, including problems with the resolver. These
> problems go way beyond the cosmetic problems related to the conf file.

At this stage, I'm planning on doing an import of src/contrib/bind and
updating all the bmake scaffolding (already done) to build named{-xfer},
dig, host, nslookup etc.

libc and the include files are 100% entirely seperate.  They are being
left out for the time being.  I agree completely, updating the resolver to
use IRS is not something to be rushed into.  I'm not sure I even want to
at all, but there's bound to be lots more said on the subject.  (In
particular, I want something that's extensible, so it should be possible
to support different resolvers beyond the base 3 (4? - hesiod) types that
are built into the library.

> Here is a quote from the INSTALL file:
>
> Shared Libraries
>
>         Absolutely no support exists for editing the system's shared
>         libraries to update the resolver.  If you want to do that you
>         probably want to look at BIND Version 4 (see
> http://www.isc.org/isc/)
>         or wait a while or help out a lot.  This means you probably do
> not
>         want to install the library or include files into /usr/lib or
>         /usr/include, and this kit helpfully puts everything into
>         /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include for that reason among
> others.
>
> Are these issues being considered, and if so what are the solutions
> proposed?

Not relevant to us..  This is for people trying to build the bind
resolvers into their system libc BINARIES (eg: SunOS).  We have a
stand-alone version of the hostname resolver stuff in out libraries.  It's
quite a bit of effort to upgrade this, but it'll be on the agenda some
time since the resolver and DNS components at least should use the new
components...  We can upgrade those without going all the way with IRS.

In all, Don't Panic.  Apart from the named.boot/named.conf problem, the
rest is a non-issue for now.  I'd like to get named up and running and
stable in it's imported form before messing with the resolver.

> Doug

Cheers,
-Peter
--