Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:18:19 -0500
From:      "Matt Sealey" <matt@genesi-usa.com>
To:        <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 6.0 on Pegasos/ODW

>   So, I think the overwriting should only occur if ofw is
> allowing the loader to claim memory used by the kernel.
>
>   At the loader prompt, issue a 'memmap' command: that should
> dump what ofw returns as it's map. You could then load the
> kernel (but not boot) and issue 'memmap' again to see what
> effect the kernel and env has on the memory map.

memmap before loading kernel:

	Virtual Range	Physical Range	#Pages	Mode

memmap after "load kernel":

	Virtual Range	Physical Range	#Pages	Mode

.. nothing! :)

> > Having it put the kernel somewhere after the first 32MB would be a
> > good test. Our load-base variable is set to 0x4000000 so the loader
> > goes there. I will see if I can get you guys a decent copy of the
> > memory map..
>
>   That could work. You will have to modify the linker script
> in sys/conf/ldscript.powerpc to change the load address.

Okay that means recompiling stuff then.

What exactly DO I need to compile FreeBSD? I've done it before on a PC
to install a custom build on another PC, and set up the cross compiler
setup *once* but never attempted to use it. The problem is all I have
here is this laptop (I am using it in XP right now) and a bunch of
Pegasos systems. I might be able to find a Beige G3 Mac somewhere.

--
Matt Sealey <matt@genesi-usa.com>
Manager, Genesi, Developer Relations