Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:50:06 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        gregkopp@en.com (Greg Kopp)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   manual arp

<<On Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:07:57 -0500, gregkopp@en.com (Greg Kopp) said:

> Then I delete the network automatically added:

> route delete -net 192.168.3 192.168.3.3

You Just Can't Do That.

> And add the host

> route add -host 192.168.3.3 192.168.3.3

This route is not meaningful.  Don't do that.  (It would cause earlier
versions of FreeBSD to triple-fault and reboot.)

> Now in order for the machine to recognize both IP addresses, I have to tie
> that IP address to the same ethernet address:

Um, no.  If you had left the routing table alone, it would have done
the right thing for you.

> arp -s 192.168.3.3 11:22:33:44:55:66 pub

> And if I try and do this from root, I get:

> cannot intuit interface index and type for 192.168.3.3

...which is telling you that the routing table is broken.

> And if I try and ping 192.168.3.3 from the same host, I get:

> Feb 26 05:28:33 kopp /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo

...which is also telling you that the routing table is broken.

> I get no error messages when trying to set up the alias'd interface.

That's because NOTHING WENT WRONG!  Just leave it as it is!  (But make
sure to supply the correct netmask when you configure the interface.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.