Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:05:32 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "S. Salman Ahmed" <ssahmed@pathcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports' configure scripts not finding gtk-config

In the last episode (Jun 28), S. Salman Ahmed said:
> I had been trying to build nmapfe from ports on a 4.6-STABLE box, and
> one of the configure scripts for nmapfe wasn't able to find the
> gtk-config script even though I had already installed gtk-1.2 and
> gtk-2.0 on my system.
>
> I tracked the problem down to the the fact that gtk12-config existed
> in /usr/X11R6/bin but there was no gtk-config in that directory. My
> quick fix was to just symlink gtk-config to gtk12-config. After that
> fix, nmapfe built without any problems.
>
> My question is: is this a bug/breakage in the upstream nmapfe source or
> is it in gtk-1.2 port (for not creating the gtk-config symlink) ?

There shouldn't be any gtk-config.  gtk12 installs gtk12-config, and
the nmapfe port seems to build fine for me:

checking for gtk-config... /usr/X11R6/bin/gtk12-config

The port Makefile sets USE_GTK=yes, which ends up setting
GTK_CONFIG=${X11BASE}/bin/gtk12-config , so everyhint *should* have
worked for you.

> Also, since I just noticed that I also have gtk-2.0 installed why is
> there no gtk20-config script ?

gtk20 uses pkgconfig, so the info ends up stored in
/usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/ instead of /usr/local/bin/*-config.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com