Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:26:08 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>, Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wow!

On Thu, 09 Jul 1998 at 11:48 SAT, Andrew Short wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Roman Katsnelson wrote:
>
> > in Linux there was a feature which was helpful with long filenames:
> > as you typed a filename, you could hit <Tab> and if what you've already
> > typed was unique, it would finish the name for you. Any equivalence in
> > FreeBSD?
>
> Sounds like a feature of the bash shell.  Install and use that you'll have
> your file (and directory) name completion back...just the way it always
> worked.

Yup.  Many other shells also offer filename comletion, of course.

> I know i will get corrected if I am wrong in saying this, but I believe
> that bash is the usual default shell for linux, but not for FreeBSD?

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Linux isn't a single entity.  Many
(most? all??) Linux distributions use bash as the default shell, though this
is not necessarily the case.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878