Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2016 05:17:41 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenGL over X11/SSH

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:50:53 +0200, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> I'm used to connecting via ssh to a couple of "heavy duty" servers on my
> LAN; I've got X11 forward working and in fact I usually run emacs,
> xterm, sometimes even FireFox.
>
> Now I need to try an OpenGL-based program, but I'm not able to get it right.
>

> > % glxinfo
> > name of display: localhost:11.0
> > libGL error: failed to open drm device: No such file or directory
> > libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
> > libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
> > libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
> > X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
> >   Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
> >   Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
> >   Serial number of failed request:  46
> >   Current serial number in output stream:  45
>

> AFAICT this should work, albeit without hardware acceleration, which is
> fine to me since this is only going to be a test.

If I understand the messages correctly, the OpenGL output requires
direct rendering (DRM) instead of a software renderer. The DRM/DRI
task is being performed directly on the hardware the program is
running on and maybe cannot be redirected to a remote X system.
The somehow direct access to the hardware maybe cannot be tunneled
over X11/SSH. The messages indicate that the DRM device cannot be
found and the r600 (Radeon?) driver cannot be loaded. This is a
quire early error of libGL.

On the other hand, if you use software rendering, it _should_ work.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany