Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:18:30 +0100
From:      "Klaus T. Aehlig" <aehlig@linta.de>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>, Stas Timokhin <devel@stasyan.com>, ade@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libtool issues

Dear Stephen,

> Or one could instead modify devel/libtools, maybe something like this.
> Rename bin/libtool to libexec/libtool.sh, and then rewrite the libtool
> script as something like:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> PREFIX=/usr/local
> TEMPCCDIR=`mktemp -d -t /tmp`
> export PATH=${WRKDIR}:$PATH
> ${LN} -s ${LOCALBASE}/bin/${CC} ${TEMPCCDIR}/cc
> ${LN} -s ${LOCALBASE}/bin/${CXX} ${TEMPCCDIR}/c++
> ${PREFIX}/libexec/libtool.sh $@
> rm -r ${TEMPCCDIR}

besides the obvious point that ${TMPCCDIR} should be under ${WRKDIR}, I'm
getting nervous reading ${LOCALBASE}/bin/${CC} which seems to assume that
${CC} is the name of a binary to be found in ${LOCALBASE}/bin; this might
well be if libtool is used in conjunction with USE_GCC -- but are you sure
that this will always be the case? devel/libtool does not have such a dependency,
and if using ccache (as I do on my machines) you get something like

/usr/ports/devel/libtool>make -V CC
/usr/local/libexec/ccache/world/cc
/usr/ports/devel/libtool>

Am I missing something which makes your suggested changes to devel/libtool still
save?

Best,
Klaus