Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:17:24 +1000
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@theinternet.com.au>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc fails to attach in -current (was: snapshot installation woes)

+-------[ Gordon Tetlow ]----------------------
| On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
|
| > Sure enough, that fixed the kernel panic, but here's the next odd piece,
| > my hard drive wasn't showing up! I have a rather standard Adaptec AHA-2940
| > dmesg reports that ahc0 is there. The lines from the dmesg are (hand
| > typed):
|
| ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0x5000-0x50ff mem 0x50000000-0x50000fff irq 15 at device 15.0 on pci0
| aic7880: Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
|
| Since -stable and -current are using the exact same driver, there is
| something more subtle (and sinister?) going on that I can't figure out. At
| this point, I'm throwing my hands up in the air unless someone can give me
| a better idea as to what the possible problem could be. I'd really like to
| try -current on this box as it's a dual proc PPro 200.

You'll probably need to use DEVFS to get booted. I can't boot -current
from ahc using a standard /dev/ (or couldn't around the time DEVFS switched
from being default disabled, to default enabled, so I've been running DEVFS
ever since). This from either a 2940UW, or from dual onboard 7895's. So
if you can get it installed, try building a new kernel with DEVFS enabled.

I can't run SMP with ahc either, the machine locks up and I get messages
about interrupts being off for too long (it was a while ago, but, I try
an SMP build every month or so, and it still locks up (don't get to see the
messages in X though)).

Somtimes I do get more than 2-3 mins of uptime before it locks, and I can see
that /dev/smb0 is no longer 'configured' (lmmon et. al. stop working).

So if you do get it booted, be prepared for some torrid times d8)

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|                      | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |                      |