Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 13:10:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Le-Chin Eugene Liu <lliu@twolf7.EE.WASHINGTON.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem of Install FreeBSD 2.1!

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The video card you are using illegally (IMO) uses the com3 address range.

Sorry to correct you, but I think the address is COM4(sio3), 0x2e8.
I have the same problem using a new ATI CT Mach64 card. From what I
was told, the story is that IBM used 0x2e8 in their 8514A standard.
So for compatibility's reason, other graphic chips use that address,
too. But usually, the they have the register "hidden" until the
enhanced mode is invoked. Unfortunately, Mach64 has that register
always activated. That causes the problem.

Eugene