Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 03:56:29 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@link.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Way to send commands to modem when no DCD with user-ppp

Hi.

I've got a Microcom Deskporte FAST+ modem on my side,
which is being used in analogue leased line mode.
When it's connected, user-ppp works great.

However, when the modems loose power, they lose the contents
of their EPROM, resulting in them starting up again in
normal modem mode (like any other modem). If this happens,
user-ppp grabs the modem and tries to establish a PPP connection,
which will never happen (because the modems are not connected).

I can't specify the init strings in the ppp.conf, because
that will be sent irrespective of whether or not the
modems are connected.

What I need to know is whether or not there is a program that
can send commands to a modem (I've checked /usr/ports/comms/*
and chat(8)), but neither of them seem to do exactly what I want,
which is to send commands to a modem and then disconnect
(the program shouldn't expect anything; once the string is sent,
it should just die).

First prize (of course) would be to get user-ppp to send a string
when there is no DCD, but I don't think that would be in the realm
of many applications of user-ppp ;-)

TIA.
---
Khetan Gajjar       (!kg1779) * khetan@iafrica.com ; khetan@os.org.za
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  * Talk/Finger khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
FreeBSD enthusiast            * http://www2.za.freebsd.org/
Stupidest quote heard : Who is this BSD, and why should we free him ?