Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:50:11 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   more -current testers

I understand that we're getting to that stage where we need more
-current testers.

We all agree that the optimal thing would be to have hordes of very
sophisticated users who can debug problems on their own and submit
patches to fix all their issues.  I would guess that we all also agree
that that's not going to happen.

It seems that the best we can hope for is to educate some of the
braver users who are ready to take the next step and are willing to
donate some time to us.

I'm considering doing a series of articles on testing FreeBSD-current,
including: setting up for kernel dumps, what to type at the debugger
prompt after a crash, filing a decent bug report, what to expect from
-current, and so on.  I would also make it clear when to not bother
filing a bug report (i.e., "You crashed, but had no WITNESS?  Sorry,
enable WITNESS & try again."). This would be (I suspect) three
articles, running about a month and a half.

The last time I checked, I get 12-15 thousand readers for each
article.  One half of one percent uptake would (hopefully) be quite a
few bug reports.

My question to the community is: is it too early to do this?  If I
start now, the articles would probably appear April-May.

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org