Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 18:07:18 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ctm

As Chuck Robey wrote:

> Soren, I would like to be able to fall back to cvsup, because when my
> connectivity is good, it would do it, but I don't know any reliable
> method of getting back to ctm, without requiring me to download one of
> the "A" deltas.

The only reliable method is to CVSup from the CTM master site again,
before switching back to CTM.  This would update your .ctm_status file
to the exact status of the master site.

I once tried to convince Richard into providing a CVSup server (and be
it only for registered people, exactly for this purpose), but it seems
he feared the effort.  (Well, he probably doesn't know it takes as few
as 15 minutes to get it up & running... ;-) If people are disciplined
enough to not abuse this service, but only use it for the final
catchup before switching back to CTM, this shouldn't cause any notable
load on Richard's machine.

An alternative could it be if Sascha's machine would provide this
service, although the latency is a little higher then (since he has to
extract the CTM deltas first).

I did it by CVSupping from Richard's feed (cvsup5.freebsd.org), around
the time he's doing it, but there's still a probability that a few
files will be different in the end.

The worst part of this game is switching from CTM to CVSup, btw.  The
CTM delta format doesn't provide for a timestamp field, but CVSup
primarily relies on the timestamp.  I've once contemplated to extend
the CTM delta format, but never got to implement it.  If i'm not
totally mistaken, this addition could be transparent to people using
old CTM client software (they would simply ignore the additional
field).

--
cheers, J"org