Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2019 18:11:23 -0400
From:      Tom Pusateri <pusateri@bangj.com>
To:        Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bugid reports are not a mail list

> On Apr 28, 2019, at 5:45 PM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> On 4/28/19 5:38 PM, Tom Pusateri wrote:
>>> On Apr 28, 2019, at 5:24 PM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Merely wanted to suggest that bugid reports contain more substantive
>>> content than open hand waving discussion. I am guilty as charged in
>>> this respect also.
>>>=20
>>> Also ... follow up to comment left by Tom Pusateri on 235060 : yes
>>> the powermacs are cheap and everywhere and not much exists =
elsewhere.
>>> Unless one wants to spend $10k as a minimum. The situation is worse
>>> for RISC-V wherein nearly nothing exists other than QEMU and Spike.
>>> So in that hardware architecture one will need to spend $55M or more
>>> to get your own 9nm fabrication done. Maybe less. Not much less.
>> My apologies. I guess I should take this to the ARM mailing list.
>=20
> No this is a good place and input is appreciated. I have arm on hand
> here also and it is a bugger to deal with.
>=20
> Dennis

Agreed. But at least it is improving and isn=E2=80=99t stagnating.

I powered up my Mac Pro PowerPC G5 recently because I submitted pull =
requests to a project on github and the continuous integration testing =
done by the project used QEMU to test the code on big endian linux and =
it failed under QEMU but I was sure the code was fine. Trying it on the =
same version of linux on real hardware worked fine and so there was QEMU =
bug that prevented my pull request from being merged.

In addition to linux, I tried my favorite operating system =
(12.0-RELEASE) on the G5 and after some trouble installing, my code =
worked great there too. Next I tried it on MIPS64 FreeBSD which was very =
slow (ERL). I looked around for other options and couldn=E2=80=99t find =
much except that both the ARM64 could be programmed in either Big Endian =
or Little Endian but there do not seem to be any operating systems using =
Big Endian mode.

I think it would be useful to have modern inexpensive hardware that can =
run in Big Endian mode and if there=E2=80=99s enough others that feel =
this way, maybe we could have an ARM64 Big Endian version in addition to =
the current Little Endian version.

Tom