Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 07:26:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        aa8vb@nc.rr.com
Subject:   ARG!!! 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostnam

I have not been able to post to the FreeBSD lists for a fairly long time, and
I'd put posting aside for a while.  I came back to it today and _still_ no
luck.

I've got all masquarading on in my sendmail .mc file, and that doesn't fix it
(it doesn't affect the SMTP EHLO host reported).

I even hacked sendmail this morning and told it to say "EHLO www.freebsd.org"
and "EHLO smtp-server.freebsd.org", and that didn't please FreeBSD's mail
server.  So what does the silly thing want?

<RANT>My real DNS hostname will not be meaningful to freebsd.org.  I am on a
masquaraded internal network here at my house, and nowhere on my box does it
even know what the real DHCP IP assigned to my firewall machine is, nor whether
that IP has a DNS entry.  Other folks (corporate networks) are in the same
boat.  Why Freebsd.org thinks it can derive some non-UCE assurance from this
hackable piece of user-provided information I really don't understand. </RANT>

If anyone knows what the trick is for getting around this, I'd much appreciated
hearing from you.

Thanks in advance!

Randall