Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 22:03:38 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, sef@Kithrup.COM
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Junk mail from hackers list

> Also, in response to Terry's original message:  no, AOL does not mine
> addresses.  If you send email to someone at AOL, your address does not get
> recorded by anyone but the recipient (and certain log files, of course --
> but the same is true here).  To be honest, I haven't seen much spam on the
> hacker's list.  And all of my junk email apparantly comes from posting to
> usenet.  (rec.arts.sf.written resulting in the most junk.)  And, gosh, Terry
> certainly posts a lot to usenet; maybe *that*'s where his address is being
> found, hm?
>
> Sean.

I don't get much spam, and it doesn't bother me to just click "Delete".  But
what really annoys me are the X-rated spam that assumes we are all just lonely
guys willing to pay big bucks for naked pics, the ones that look like:

>From:  Cyndi (or some sexy-sounding name)
>Subject:  hi
>
>hi I found this cool site on the Internet.  Check it out!
>
>http://www.porn.sex.spam.whatever.com/

Is anyone actually so STUPID that they DON'T REALIZE this is an ad?  Maybe they
hope you talk to so many people (in seedy chat rooms, presumably!) that you
don't know the e-mail addresses of all your friends...  That's offensive!

Besides, lonely guys with a CLUE know you can get naked pics from USENET for
free.  ;)  Well, amidst the spam, that is.  Perhaps a quote from Boomhauer of my
new favorite cartoon (KOTH of course!) would be appropriate:

"Yeah man, I tell ya what, man...That dang ol' Internet, man...You just go on
there and point and click...Talk about W-W-dot-W-com...An' lotsa nekkid chicks
on there, man... Click. Click. Click. Click. Click....It's real easy man."

-- Jake