Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:12:35 -0700
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: E3000

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 03:02:18PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 11-Jan-02 Chad David wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:29:04PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> >>
> > Yes, access to the firware would be nice :).  I've never worked on a 3000,
> > but are you not able to power the box via the firmware?
>
> Not sure.  The ultra60 I have can be turned off by the firmware, but how would
> one turn it on? :)

I think the console is powered seperately.  I'm pretty sure the X1 I was
working on over Christmas had a "power on" command from the serial
console... in fact I think it even took a delay parameter (so that a rack
of them wouldn't all start at the same time?).

> > The box is actually in Menlo Park right now (on the guys kitchen floor I'm
> > told), so I guess if somebody down there wanted it (if I don't buy it) I
> > could forward the information.
>
> Hmm, if no one else pipes up I _might_ be interested, but it would have to be
> real soon, as I'm moving to .ga.us next week.

If I can get any real info about the box, and make a decision (which will
not take me long) I will let you know.  I've never actually talked to the
guy who has it now,  I just got a call from one of the solaris kernel
engineers in Menlo asking if I was interested in it.

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca
www.FreeBSD.org   davidc@freebsd.org