Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:03:52 +0100
From:      Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is a good language for system administration?

Hello rene,

rxn> So I've learned how to do basic scripting in /bin/sh. But boy-oh-boy is that
rxn> language arcane. ;-)

rxn> What other language do you guys advise for system administration tasks such
rxn> as
rxn> * checking if a remote host is up
rxn> * pumping files & RAM data through external tools
rxn> * calling scripts written in the same language on a remote machine, to
rxn>   'pickup' data that was pumped to that machine by a local script.

rxn> My wishlist for the language, prioritized with most important first:
rxn> * portability! to other UNIXes, and even Windoze.
rxn> * low system demands - it needs to run on lowend boxes aswell
rxn> * clear organization of any 'plugins' (which need to be replicated on other
rxn>   machines aswell)
rxn> * a nice errorhandling & logging system

rxn> I could really use some clues here. PHP comes into mind, but maybe there are
rxn> other better options?

Two good choices are: Pyton and Java. The later is good for portabily
to other type of systems.
I woud stay away from Perl (stay off it for awail and you forget how
to use it) or C(++) (You are asking for thouble, if your not a
programmer)

I beleave there is a document on freebsd.org about this topic. Don't
know here it stands.

Well if you wanna do it though the web, then your other choice are JSP
(Java Server Pages), ASP (microsoft but i don't think you gonna find this).

rxn> Friendly greets,
rxn>   Rene Veerman

rxn> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

--
Best regards,
 Alfatrion                            mailto:alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl