Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 18:06:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

> > > I can post (once again) the results of a Novell study on server usage
> > > patterns.  The 30,000 foot view for a typical server breaks down to:
> > >
> > > 	75%	reads
> > > 	15%	writes
> > > 	8%	directory search operations
> > > 	2%	other
>
> I think that is very dependant on the server type. PC NetWare fileservers
> probably have very different access patterns to (say) a web server or a mail
> server. Let alone a news server.

That depends.  News servers are "read mostly".  HTTP servers are
"read mostly".  IMAP4 servers, if they are used as intended, are
"read mostly".  POP3 servers are not.  SMTP servers are not.  SMB
servers and AppleTalk servers probably show exactly the access
patterns Novell measuered for NCP servers, since the requests are
client-driven, as are those to NFS servers.

But yes, this list is probably the optimization weighting for a
file server as opposed to an application server.

I've always disliked the term "application server", which was coined
by Novell when it decided to not compete against Microsoft on the
destop.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---