Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:25:43 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Chat Away 8)

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_2241.html

                  1. Enterprise-quality technical support. Linux still feels
risky to
                  large corporations, who feel they need support from a single
point of
                  contact, not from a loose alliance of libertarian
programmers. It
                  makes some IT professionals wonder if they could get fired
for
                  choosing Linux.

                  Of the three obstacles, this is the easiest one to solve,
because it is
                  largely perception versus reality. Companies such as Caldera
and Red
                  Hat now offer user-friendly commercial versions with
nationwide
                  support. Click for full story.

                  2. Tier One applications. The leading applications must be
available
                  in Linux versions. The situation is improving but very
slowly. Corel
                  ships WordPerfect for Linux and plans to develop a suite of
business
                  applications. Most other vendors won't do Linux versions
until
                  there's enough demand. And there won't be demand until there
are
                  enough applications. That leaves Linux trapped between a
chicken
                  and an egg.

                  3. A standard interface. This issue will prove hardest of
all because
                  it flies in the face of the Linux gestalt. It's not a
technical issue. At
                  least one firm has already built a Win95 clone. Rather it's
the problem
                  of getting the fiercely independent Linuxites to agree to a
single
                  standard. Remember, the core community is made up of Unix
geeks
                  who think graphical interfaces are for sissies.

                  Would you like to see the rug pulled out from under
Microsoft? Here's
                  how it could happen. IBM ships and supports Linux. Oracle
does
                  Linux versions of all its products. A consortium of top
vendors picks
                  a standard Linux interface and creates a compatibility logo.

                  Possible? Absolutely. Microsoft's long-range strategy would
come
                  crumbling down if it was forced to give away Windows NT. It
plans to
                  upgrade all of us to NT, and charge us twice what it gets
for NT. Is a
                  Linux takeover likely? Give me a break. Of course not.

                  Still, as we reported yesterday, IBM is now shipping the
freeware
                  Apache Web server. Is it too much to hope that it might ship
and
                  support Linux? Click the TalkBack button to tell me what you
think.
                  Or jump over to the discussion now underway in my Berst
Alerts
                  forum.