Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:09:56 +0200
From:      mcassar <marshc187@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portugrade using packages

I don't know if you ppl consider this an issue, and what you would do if
so, so here goes.

Over a month ago i had posted asking a few questions about maintaining
the base system and ports/packages and got some clarification and info
on the different tools. (at the time i didn't know the difference
between release and stable).
I still had some confusion till i later realised that most of you long
time user of freebsd must surely be on stable, and only after i heard
mention that kde4.1 was available as packages and i could get them for
the life of me (later found a related mention in the handbook - if not
mistaken; latest packages are available to stable for security reasons).

Anyway, this came up when trying to use portupgrade with -arPP on
Release with xorg and kde installed off the install disks and after a
portsnap. portupgrade would first fetch/download the latest package
under release, then find it is the same version as installed, and so
forth with each installed package, instead of comparing versions first.
i was about to leave it unattended but stopped it after the first few
assuming that was the case and was watching my internet usage. ( there
were around 350 packages to update).

I am not entirely sure this is the case, just assumed. i had forgotten,
since i tried stable and got most of them via packages, but today it
seemed to happen on a single package at least. don't know if this is
something ppl would like to look into.