Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 11:52:37 -0500
From:      "Chris Csanady" <cc@swing.ca.sandia.gov>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM Questions

>>First, I was wondering if it is possible given a physical address,
>>to copy data to it from a virtual address.  Or is a virtual mapping
>>necessary?
>
>   There must be a virtual mapping.
>
>>The other question is how may I map user pages into the kernel?  I've
>>looked through vm_map.c, and it seems that support for this is
>>lacking.  To get around this for now, I am attempting to use almost
>>exclusively physical address--although am now sure how it will work
>>out.
>
>   vm_map.c isn't really the right place to look. A better place would be
>physio/vmapbuf/vunmapbuf in kern_physio.c and vm_machdep.c.

Thanks to all that have pointed me in the right direction wrt this type
of thing. :)  I think I should have enough info now to get things working
properly now.  I was kind of curious about one thing though--in vm_page.c,
there is mention that vm_hold should only be used for temporary wiring.
Is it really bad to use it often?  I want to have the process wired
anyways, so would this even matter?

-Chris